Sunday, January 9, 2011

Week 1/9-1/15 Meal Plan

As I said before I love to meal plan for the week. A week is an easy thing to plan for and it makes it so much easier not to eat out or waste food. I am just new at least so hopefully I will get a better format but for now I will write the recipes I have or make up and I'll provide links for the ones I get online.

Sunday- Sweet and sour chicken (in the crock pot!) over basmati rice, along with a home canned peaches.

Sweet and Sour Chicken
1 1/2 c. sliced carrots (I also added 1/2 c of celery)
1 large green pepper chopped
1 medium onion chopped (so I didn't have an onion and I put in dried onions, not the same)
2 Tbsp. quick-cooking tapioca (I put in cornstarch instead as its thickening agent)
2 1/2 - 3lb chicken cut into bite size pieces
8 oz can pineapple chunks in juice (I put in 1 c of fresh pineapple and then filled that cup with water around the pineapple, way better than canned)
1/3 c brown sugar
1/3 c vinegar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp instant chicken bouillon
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground ginger or 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 tsp salt

1. Place vegetables in bottom of slow cooker. Sprinkle with tapioca. Add chicken.
2. In separate bowl, combine pineapple, brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, bouillon, garlic powder, ginger, and salt. Pour over chicken.
3. Cover. Cook on Low 8-10 hours.
4. Serve over rice.

After having this tonight I would also add 5 Tbsp of Ketchup to step 2. The sweet and sour was missing something and that seemed to be what it needed. White rice would be fine to serve this over I just like the different flavor that basmati rice gives.

Mon- Cream of Celery and for this recipe I would leave the vegetables in the soup or I might puree them. I also would have the recipe because it is rather large. We'll be having salad along with this and maybe some bread bowls I froze from last soup night.

Tues- Due to this night be a child's birthday we are having homemade pizza with bread sticks. If you want the pizza dough recipe you can leave a message. I will give you my sauce recipe. I always make it so everything is really to taste.
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 6 oz can tomato paste(they are the little ones they might be 4 oz?)
Basil, Oregano, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Italian Seasoning, and 3 Tbsp Sugar
(Yes SUGAR. It helps with the acidity of the tomatoes and is found in some restaurant pizzas ( worked at Pizza Hut in my teen years)).
You just mix all these ingredients to taste. It will cover 2 medium sized pizzas.
I leave the toppings to you! Enjoy

Wed- Yellow Squash Casserole , this recipe only has one alteration and that is I used about 1 1/2 c of bread crumbs instead of the crushed crackers. This was a really good recipe, one I over filled on! This time I will also be adding a cup of canned chicken. I can my own chicken so if you buy it you can put one can in. We'll also be having this with salad and sauteed pears. The pears I slice thinly from top to bottom and then put them in a pan with apple juice and sprinkle them with cinnamon. I cook until they seem tender. This has been the only way we eat pears.

Thurs- This is pasta night. This means that whatever vegetables I have left over from the week get thrown into a frying pan then have some sort of sauce added to them be it be tomato or something I puree and then we serve it over pasta. I am also serving it with spicy Brussels sprouts and carrots recipe.

Fri- As I stated before these meals are meant to feed a lot yet my boys aren't eating that much yet. So tonight is LEFTOVERS! My favorite night!

Sat- Well this day is my 6Th wedding anniversary so I am having a candle light dinner of take out Chinese with my husband after the kids go to bed! So, there is no real meal tonight.

I'll post again if there is something with a new recipe I altered like the cream of celery ( haven't tried it yet). If nothing is wrong then I will post my bountiful basket menu next Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment