Sunday, February 6, 2011

Menu 2/6-2/12/2011

I have been one busy momma. Mostly my husband was putting a fan in my bathroom yesterday which meant no time for computer while I kept the kids from trying to climb on to the roof! Gotta love boys!

Sunday- I have to confess I handed this day off to my husband. As you can see you got a bag of red potatoes in our basket this week. He was sooo excited due to the fact that I have been doing potato bar nights less often, or more like they don't exist. So tonight he thru some chopped up in the crock pot with an 8 wedged onion, some baby carrots, worcesterchire sauce, chicken broth, and salt and pepper. It was pretty good. We also had some grilled chicken that was marinated in evoo (extra virgin olive oil) and sprinkled with garlic and herb seasoning. It was DeYummy!

Monday- This same amazing husband who made tonight's dinner will be having a birthday today.He has requested to have lasagna which I will accompany with french bread and a side salad made out of spinach leaves.
With the lasagna I make a spaghetti sauce with whatever I want in it. This week it will probably be made up of spinach, broccoli, carrots, and if I am nice I might add a few bits of shredded chicken too. I also combine 16 oz or 2 c. of cottage cheese and 2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese in a separate bowl. A trick I learned is that you don't' have to cook the noodles before hand but make sure each layer has enough sauce or the noodles won't cook. Anyways, I take a greased 9x13 pan and put a little sauce on the bottom. Then I put lasagna noodles on top of that, then a layer of the cheese mixture and then sauce. You repeat this process until there is sauce on top and you have run out. I cook it in 350 * for about 35-45 minutes or until you think the noodles are done and the cheese is melted.
I don't have a recipe for the french bread yet but I'll tell you if I find an easy good one.

Tuesday- It is supposed to be cold here again so we are doing my husbands favorite soup, Best Cream of Potato Soup. This time I might add more celery since I have a ton. I also don't have allspice or celery seed so I leave those out. I also don't have white wine so I'll be doing red wine vinegar instead. I have also switched from whole milk to skim and there wasn't much of a difference. If you need to you can add bacon or ham. It makes it really delicious.
We'll probably have some fruit with this meal to help round it out. And hopefully the cold will be gone fast.

Wednesday- We are going to do an easy breakfast dinner. We will be having blueberry pancakes and eggs with cantaloupe. Easy and very delicious.

Thursday- We are going to have a cauliflower sauce pasta day. This recipe I got from a friend.
Pasta Zucchini
2 Zucchini washed and diced - Also good with broccoli, cauliflower or white beans
1 clove garlic
1 tsp or cube of chicken broth granules
1 tsp salt
Pasta ( I prefer ditalini pasta but mostly you just want the small shaped pastas)
Parmesan cheese ( or orange cheese)
parsley (optional)
In large sauce pan heat EVOO and minced garlic clove. Add zucchini (or whatever you choose from the list above), saute for a few minutes on medium. Add water with chicken broth or no water and use stock. Let boil on medium for 10 minutes. Blend the zucchini in the sauce pan (I take the mixture and pour it into my Vita-Mix blender for a few seconds and then quickly pour it back into the pan but you can also use an immersion blender). Add 1 tsp. salt. Add pasta (I only put in how much my family will eat with a little leftover but you can do a whole 1 lb. bag). Important: Consistently stir the pasta while it cooks for 8 minutes ( or until done). This allows the flavor of the zucchini to absorb into the pasta. Also, the pasta will begin to absorb the mixture. Pour a little water in at a time to make sure the pasta has enough moisture to cook.
Top with Parmesan cheese, or use shredded orange cheese.
I Love this dish.

Friday- Burrito night. I'll use whatever spinach we have left over with some tomatoes too. It should help clear out our fridge of things.

Saturday- Leftovers!

Once again, another week to enjoy delicious healthy food. Now to get my kids to eat what I make is the new goal! Bon apetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment