Sunday, February 27, 2011

Meal Plan Week 2/27-3/5/2011

I feel terrible for not meal planning last week. It seems to always make meals a little more hectic. This week I feel better and the cold seems to be leaving. We got a double wammy last 2 weeks with a stomach bug and then right after a cold.
Anyways, your not here to hear me complain. So, on to the food.
I have some leftover vegetables from last weeks basket and I got an Asian pack this week so I am doing some things from that too.

Sunday- Today we did a vegetable chow mein. It needs some work so I am not going to post the recipe. Hopefully I can find a good substitute for tofu because I just don't like it but this recipe needs some protein.

Monday- We will be having Honey Chicken. This recipe is so good. We one time ran out of chicken before the kids wanted to be done and had a mini riot in our house, no joke! This recipe is brought to you by Candee.
Honey Chicken
3-4 lbs chicken fryer (I use drumsticks)
1/4 c. butter, melted
1/2 c honey
1/4 c mustard
1 tsp salt
1 tsp curry powder

Place chicken in pan, skin side up (I actually skin the chicken before). Combine all ingredients, mix. Pour over chicken (not all of it because you will need to baste). Bake at 350* for 1 1/4 hr. Baste every 15 minutes. (I cook the chicken until the temperature of the meat thermometer reaches about 165* which sometimes is before the allotted time).

With the glaze left in the bottom of the pan we put that as a sauce over basmati rice. And to start the meal we will be having a salad. Still working on my portion control and that salad really helps!

Tuesday- Tonight is an Asian night. We will be having a chicken chow mein with stir fried bok choy.
Chicken Chow Mein
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 package (6 oz) frozen snow peas, thawed (I'll be using fresh!)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil, divided
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoon dry sherry (I sometimes leave this out since I don't have it or use orange juice)
3 large green onions, cut diagonally into 1 inch pieces
4 ounces uncooked Chinese egg noodles, or vermicelli cooked, drained and rinsed (I'll be using angel hair pasta)
1 teaspoon Oriental sesame oil

Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces. Toss with garlic in small bowl. Cut snow peas into halves. Heat 1/2 tsp vegetable oil in wok or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken mixture; stir fry 3 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Transfer to medium bowl; toss with soy sauce and sherry.
Heat remaining 1/2 tsp vegetable oil in wok. Add snow peas; stir fry 1 minute. Add onions; stir-fry 30 seconds. Add chicken mixture; stir-fry 1 minute. Add noddles to wok; stir-fry 2 minutes or until heated through. Stir in sesame oil. Garnish, if desired. (Brought to you by Great Tasting Stir-Fries and More).

The stir fried bok choy is just cut up and thrown into a skillet with sesame oil, garlic, and re pepper flakes. I fry it until it is tender. This makes a quick and easy oriental side dish.

Wednesday- Today we will be having something we have had before. My family likes it so it must be repeated. We will be having yellow squash casserole. The link to the recipe and alterations can be found here. Add a salad and we got one tasty meal.

Thursday- This is another Asian night. I am looking forward to trying this recipe, napa cabbage salad. We will be having this with grilled pork since this day is forcasted to be in the low 60's.

Friday- I have sunchoke left over from last week so we will be using them again. I found this sunchoke and potato gratin recipe. In the recipe I used mozzarella cheese because that's what I had. We already had it and everyone loved it so we will make it again. We also be having "shake and bake" chicken which is fun to have the kids help with. All this along with a side salad.

Saturday- Today usually is leftovers but I somehow doubt we will have leftovers this week. So tonight will be a pasta night. We will just try to use whatever we have left of vegies and throw them in with some tomato sauce and make it taste good!

I sure hope everyone else is finding wonderful ways to cook their vegies. This week we got a coconut. We have gotten one before and bombed and figuring out what to do with it. It didn't make good shakes, we couldn't get the meat off to eat. I really am at a loss as what to do. If anyone has any tricks I wouldn't mind.
And thanks Marla for the sunchoke recipe. I haven't tried it but I think I might just have to buy a few more just to try it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're feeling better! I know what its like when the flu hits the house! I haven't tried that recipe yet either; we keep getting baby artichokes, which my boys just steam up and eat the first day we get our box--definite fave at our house. We've also been getting brussel sprouts; half of us love them, half of us don't. (I'm in the love category. :) )

    ReplyDelete